Wednesday 15 September 2010

My friend's ashes

When my friend Louise died last year, her husband kept her ashes and said he would tell me when they were going to be scattered, as I very much wanted to be there for the ceremony. Well, he has just rung and announced that an old schoolfriend of Louise's has popped down for a short holiday and they have decided to scatter the ashes on the beach tomorrow.

I have an appointment with a brand new private dentist this afternoon, which I can't cancel at such short notice, and a job which must be finished by Friday. I shan't be able to get down there in time and I fee absolutely gutted. If only they were going to do it at the weekend! Instead, I shall have to sit in my room, light a candle and think about her, but it won't be the same as standing by the sea, in the place that she loved, and saying a proper farewell. Oh Louise, how I loved you and how I miss you!

1 comment:

Perovskia said...

I'm so sorry you won't be able to meet them on the beach. That must be hard. I think your tribute with lighting a candles is nice and appropriate, though :)