Thursday 10 September 2009

The night they invented Champagne


Christmas 2007 I was given a present of a bottle of the above. "Aha," thought I. "I'll keep this for a special occasion, like when I sell my next book, or buy my next house."

In the intervening 21 months, neither happened. Fed up with waiting for a special occasion, I promised my friend Joan that I would share the bottle with her for her birthday. Which was in June. And it's now September. Yes, I know. But finally last night we got together at our mutual friend Gerry's house and, as Gerry doesn't drink, Joan and I shared the bottle. It was excellent. I developed motormouth, Joan read us a short story she'd just written and I stayed the night on a bed with a divinely soft, squidgy memory foam mattress. It and the champagne were bliss. I drifted home on a sunny morning and have decided that when I do finally have a special occasion worth celebrating, I shall buy another bottle.

Of course it is Mr Grumpy's birthday this Saturday and he's having a party. Another reason to drink my champagne, before anyone else got their thieving hands on it. They can jolly well drink the Sainsbury's wine box I've bought, or the beers provided by Mr G. Or the pond. So there!

3 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

Last time I saw a bottle of this was at my friend's wedding 2 years ago.

Hope you're not hung over on Sunday and Happy Birthday to Mr. G.

hydra said...

Yes, I was! It was a great party and Mr G has posted some hideous photos of me on Facebook.

Jackie Sayle said...

Ha, ha. I must check the pics out later.