Wednesday 13 May 2009

Stomach ulcer

I don't know what set it off, but I have really suffered over the past week. I have searched my memory for foods that might have inflamed my tum, but, thinking about it, it started a few days before my last trip to the dentist, so perhaps it was worry and stress.

I took Omeprazole for four days, to no effect whatever. Usually I feel better the next day, after just one pill. Then I switched to Ranitidine, again to no effect. On Monday, the day I saw the flat in Finchley, I felt truly ghastly. The IBS had returned, too. I left at ten, got there at 12.15 and saw it through a haze of Ranitidine, Bicarb, Mega-Probiotics and Pepto Bismol (not all taken at the same time!). That combination calmed my tum down sufficiently to get me through the day.

Yesterday was an equally bad day, when I could hardly eat and didn't know what to do with myself as the burning sensation in my middle was so awful. I went to the chemist to buy some make-up wipes and spotted some soluble Zantac and took one as soon as I got home. Today, my stomach feels a lot easier. I've heard that soluble tablets act faster, but do they also have a more powerful effect? It would certainly seem so. I'll take another one today. Only trouble is, all these stomach pills have a horribly constipating effect and if I take anything for that, I'll irritate my tum all over again. Sometimes I think I just can't win.

No comments: