Thursday 11 December 2008

Christmas - A Cautionary Tale

CHRISTMAS - A Cautionary Tale

I've done my Christmas shopping,
I've written every card.
I'm cut and bruised and bleeding
'cos the wrapping was so hard.
I've planned some jolly meetings
with all my favourite folk
to give them cards and presents
and laugh and chat and joke.
Then suddenly it's Christmas,
the very day itself.
I open fridge and cupboards
and examine every shelf.
And then I slap my forehead
and shout out something rude
for I may have bought the presents
but I clean forgot the food!

By Lorna Read

4 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

Tee, hee, hee! :-D

merrylegs said...

A very funny poem
Which made me laugh out loud,
You always were a joker
And of you I am proud.
I wish we were together
From now til Christmas Day,
We'd stroll amongst the heather;
We'd sing, and dance, and play!
But now that we grow older,
Our games have mellowed too,
Since too much hearty laughter
Just sends us to the loo!
So have a Merry Christmas,
With mistletoe and holly,
(Don't sit upon the latter though -
It really would be folly..)
Let's hope for Sharpe on telly,
So we can sit and drool.
A drink to make us merry,
And a very sozzled Yule!

Jackie Sayle said...

Bravo Merrylegs! What a talented pair you and your sister are.

hydra said...

Merrylegs, that pome of yours is truly inspired! Now let's have one from you, Jacula.