Tuesday 19 August 2008

Akiane, child artist prodigy

What have I done since my Liverpool trip? Not a lot. I missed out on seeing Mama Mia with friends yesterday so I shall now be the saddo sitting in the cinema all alone, laughing to myself. I plan to go tomorrow. Yesterday I saw a TV prog about geniuses, one of which was the truly remarkable 13-year-old girl, Akiane. Although brought up in a non-religious household and educated at home (her Lithuanian mother is a non-believer), Akiane had some kind of religious conversion at the age of 3 and now paints the most remarkable pictures, some of non-religious subjects, but many of animals and her family, too. They took my breath away. Her website is at http://www.artakiane.com/home.htm

I think you'll be blown away by her, too. The programme showed a close-up of her mother's hand from a portrait of her parents and every little vein and wrinkle, even, almost, the pores, were there in lifelike detail, as if she were creating them and about to breathe the breath of life into them. Her people could walk off the canvas, they are so alive. Truly amazing.

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

I didn't watch the programme but I've checked out the site you mentioned. Yes, she is very talented. Do you remember that deeply autistic boy who could draw things like the New York skyline after only seeing them once?

hydra said...

Oh yes, I remember him. There was a prog about him a few months ago. They took him up in a helicopter and afterwards he drew the whole of central London as seen from above, all to scale. It was miraculous.