Thursday 19 January 2012

What to wear in the rain?

I admit it, I'm wimpy about rain. I don't possess a really good waterproof mac, for a start. Yes, I could walk around in one of those plastic ponchos from Oxfam, looking like a giant knobbly condom, but there's the problem of feet. Keeping them dry, I mean. The kind of shoes you want to wear around London aren't compatible with keeping the wet out.

My sister in the Lake District (Lake = rain = lots of wet stuff) doesn't have this problem. Where one person might have a country-style waxed jacket swinging from a peg in the hall, she has an entire roomful of the kind of stuff that you can wear at vast altitudes in the snow, and the sort of boots you could cross the Red Sea in, with or without the divide.

None of which solves my problem. In 15 minutes time, I have to go out in the pouring rain as I have tickets for a preview of the David Hockney Exhibition at the Royal Academy. Perhaps, if I want to look vaguely arty, the Giant Condom Poncho will have to do!

3 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

How about a gabardine mack (like the old school one you probably had), a pair of wellies and one of those concertina plastic rain hats you can get from the chemist? :-D

Perovskia said...

You know I have to give you a hard time about being a Brit and disliking the rain, right? ;) You DO know where you are, right? :D

I have no solution for you. I just wanted to drop by and give you a hard time about the rain :) (Having said that, I probably would hate it if it was all the time as well.. so I'm not really blaming you.)

hydra said...

I was in luck, folks. The rain held off and the sun came out. Miracle!