Sunday 14 June 2009

Flad the Fangless

Flad had a horrible scrap yesterday with the big black bullying tom that has recently moved into the area and thinks it owns our garden. Every day it struts through the hedge and lies down for a kip behind the bushes, and as this has been Flad's territory for the last 12 years, he doesn't take kindly to it.

I dashed up, clapping my hands and shouting at the bundle of screeching fur on the floor, but I was too late to prevent injury to my furry baby. He came in with blood dripping from his mouth and later, when he was shifting around on Mr G's knee trying not to put any pressure on his sore face, I spotted that his largest fang was missing.

Today I was able to get a better look. The tooth wasn't wrenched out of its socket, it has broken off. The trouble now is that infection could get in, but there is no way we can get Flad to a vet. He was a feral that we adopted. He will not be picked up - he fights tooth (ha ha) and nail and Mr G, despite wearing thick leather gloves, still bears the scars on his arms from the one and only time he tried to wrestle him into a carrying basket. I really don't know what to do.

Mr G is all for leaving him alone, but I am worried about infection, abcesses and his ultimate demise. (Flad's, not Mr G's. You can tell where my priorities lie!) What we need is one of those vets who shoots sedative darts at lions. Any offers?

No comments: