Saturday 24 January 2009

Belly wellies?

Immediately after posting the last entry, I received this lovely email from Leila.

Hi Lorna

Nice to hear from you.

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your foot. I do ask students at the start of the lesson if they have any injuries and ultimately you need to bring it to the instructors attention if something is hurting! I would hate to think that my class has caused pain/ injury in any way to any student. So please, when you are ready, do come back, complete with what you need to prevent this happening again to you.

Just to let you know, I ask my students to go barefoot (as 99% of bellydance teachers do) for a few reasons:

- health and safety (any sort of heel height, even trainers, can cause injury if you lose balance)
- to feel grounded and stable
- bellydance is tradtionally practised without footwear
- to be able to be light on the feet to move around quicker
- to fully expand/stretch the calf ligaments and muscles

You are probably wondering why I wear high heeled dance shoes to class! It's simply because I perform at many events where i have to dance in high heels, so this is my only time to practise.:-)

Whilst you are ultimately responsible for your well-being, I am also here to best advise you and take as many steps as possible to insure you are safe in class.

Feel free to let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss. I hope to see you soon, complete with shoes!

Have a nice weekend
Leila

5 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

It's a pretty standard H&Standard of its time email. She's not your friend yet, Hydra. That's her automatic response with a few bit thrown in, maybe. Are you really going to the next class in a jingly scarf and wellies?

Jackie Sayle said...

I MUST try to find the time to draw a cartoon of THAT!

Jackie Sayle said...

Let me see, I have Hydra swimming with a strange pink penis-like thing in a pool, and now I have her belly dsancing in wellies. This could be fun. Eh, Marian, what?

hydra said...

See my blog entry about houses, Jac. There's an idea for you there, too!

Jackie Sayle said...

Still grinning about the house with the smelly husband.:-)