Wednesday 29 August 2007

Bloody computers

So my laptop died. On the very day I had a received a cheque for £700 that had been owed since last March. I had opened a new savings account specially and the £700 was destined for there, the first penny I had saved all year. But Sod's Law dictated that the computer store was going to get it instead.

Walking past Curry's, I saw an Advent laptop for sale. £499 reduced to £399. 17" wide screen, 120g hard drive, lots of memory. Mmm, it looked good and the sale ended after the Bank Hol weekend, so I bought it.

Now, I am a Windows 2000 and occasionally XP person. However, I soon discovered Microsoft and determined to turn the world into Vista people. I turned on my new machine. For a start, the typesize was so tiny that I needed magnifying glasses to see it. Then I discovered the evil secret of Vista. Everything you've bought in the past and want to carry on using, like Photoshop, won't work with it. Instead, my screen was alive with pop-up windows ticking me off and telling me it had disabled this, that and the other. Bastard!

So, off I went on grovelling hands and knees to my recovering-from-double-stroke boyfriend and asked him, "Please, pretty please, could you take Vista off for me and install my old Windows XP instead."

Off came Vista. On went XP? Oh no. Mr Bill Gates wasn't going to make things that easy, was he? So my new computer is still sitting lifeless, eviscerated, and my old one with the burned out hard drive now does nothing but access the internet. I could cry. In fact, I will. So there!

No comments: