Monday 14 May 2007

The Finger's Return


It hasn't bothered me for some time but suddenly, tonight, I suffered The Return of the Dodgy Finger. There I was, propped up against the bar in the Feelin' Okay Corral, relaxed and, well,
feelin' okay, when all at once I felt a horrible ache and a throb as the Finger announced that it was back from rounding up cattle or prospecting for gold, or poking my ear out, or whatever it had been doing, and was challenging me to a duel. Put up, or shut up, said the Finger, as I groaned.

It was, and is, grossly swollen from too much piano playing, guitar strumming, typing and mousing. It is an abused finger. It has not been treated well and now it has osteoarthritis and is not a dainty digit. In fact, it is downright deplorable. There was only one thing to do if I was to do any more typing today - or even sleep - and that was to catch it unawares and plunge it into the large tub of Arnica gel that I keep for the purpose. Squidge, gentle massage and the pain is greatly reduced. I can now get on with propping up the Feelin' Okay bar once more and finger be damned! It can go and plague someone else and poke someone else's ear (though not their nose).

No comments: