Friday 8 July 2011

Ill again

I stopped taking my Colofac tablets for IBS about three months ago and have been feeling pretty good. Not today, though. I awoke at 6 am, couldn't get back to sleep, then realised my tum was feeling uncomfortable. Now it's 9 am and I have such a bad stomach ache. I feel sick, I've had several trips to the loo and I have to drag myself across London to view a house because if I don't, I will have missed it altogether as tenants are moving in tomorrow. It's right where I want to be, and it's a detached bungalow where I could play the piano and not disturb anyone. I wouldn't be able to move in for six months, till the tenants have gone, but at least I'd know I had it and I wouldn't have to keep on searching.

I also have a cheap ticket for London Zoo tonight and am going with my friend Jill. But the way I'm feeling right now, there'll be no house and no zoo. It's just not fair! I'm trying to remember what I ate yesterday. Two slices of cheap packet salami from the Indian corner shop with a salad for lunch. Could it have been that? I made some cherry buns and ate two. Mr G cooked 'pigs in blankets' - sausages wrapped in bacon. I had two of those with new potatoes, baked beans and mushrooms for dinner. It was a bit heavy on the meat yesterday. Perhaps that is what my digestive tract is complaining about. I ate a handful of cherries, too, to try and redress the balance. Did they over-tip the scales?

I have never known what causes my stomach aches. I've been plagued with them my entire life. From time to time I have kept food lists for a week or so, to no avail. I can eat something with impunity one week, yet the next week the same thing will make me feel dreadful. The only 'new' thing I ate yesterday was that salami, so I shall stick the rest in the fox's bowl as I should think it has a stronger digestion than I have.

4 comments:

Frances Garrood said...

I'm sorry you've been ill. Have you thought of trying the Hay diet? It seems to work for lots of things. Look up "Food Combining for Health" on Amazon, and read the commments.

Good luck with the house and the zoo!

hydra said...

Thank you, Frances! I heard of the Hay diet years ago and must look it up. It's hard to stick to my own kind of diet when Mr Grumpy insists on doing all the cooking...

Perovskia said...

That's the horrible thing that defines IBS; it's irregularity (with consumable/non-consumable foods). Mine also varies, but I've found common 'themes' or 'categories', if you will. Not a lot of fat or sugar. I do well with most meat (for the protein - my stomach likes it), but not some for the fat (i.e sausage). Maybe it had too much fat content for *you*? Just a thought.

Hugs. Been there (am there). Hope you got to see the house.

hydra said...

I did get to see the house. The location was perfect but the house was much too dark. When I came out, I was surprised to find it was still daylight outside!