Wednesday 20 May 2009

A dream of hidden rooms

I have a recurring dream and I dreamed it again last night. Although it takes place in different locations, it always involves me buying a house or a flat and finding it has a hidden extra room that I didn't know was there when I bought it. A variation on this dream is discovering I still own a property I thought I had sold years ago (there are quite a few of those!). On revisiting it, I yet again discover that hidden room.

Last night's version involved an ex-council house that I owned but hadn't been in since I'd bought it months earlier. (This was a product of my imagination as I'd never seen this particular house in real life.) When I visited it, it was full of things left behind by the previous occupant including a ladies' green bike with the front wheel missing, and some fitness equipment (probably my conscience prodding me because I haven't been to the gym for weeks). As I was tidying up, I opened a door which I thought led to a cupboard and there was the secret room, big, light and airy, with a laminate floor and an unassembled bed and mattress leaning against the wall.

I wonder if this dream comes from the fact that none of the places I've been able to afford have ever been quite large enough or had enough storage. This includes the flat I saw last week. 'If only it had had one extra room,' I sighed as I came away.

I also dreamt last night that my goddaughter's waters broke while she was sitting on the sofa watching TV and she had a quick and easy labour and the baby popped out after just four hours. She isn't due for four weeks yet, but I hope her labour is as easy as my dream.

Both dreams occurred before 3 am because that's when I awoke, and was still awake at half past four, when, with the addition of earplugs and sleep mask, I managed to catch another couple of hours. I think my brain was far too busy to let me sleep.

1 comment:

Jackie Sayle said...

I quite often used to have dreams about finding hidden rooms or whole wings in my house. More often, it'd be a whole section of garden I didn't realise I had.