Friday 13 July 2007

Shoelaces

My stomach is roiling and burning and I am back on Ranitidine. My boyfriend is making brilliant progress, though he won't try to ride his mountain bike again for a while. On Wednesday, the day after he came out of hospital, I was appalled to see him circling the lawn on his bike. As his balance is still a bit wonky, he came to a sticky end, lying on his back waving his limbs in the air like an upended beetle. I ticked him off whilst examining him for damage. "Just imagine if you'd broken your leg and had to be taken to hospital. They'd ask you when you were last in, and you'd have to say you'd only got out yesterday. Would they call you an idiot?" He agreed that they would and promised not to ride it again for at least a week.

Today, he proudly demonstrated how he had re-taught his right hand to tie his shoelaces. It was like watching a five-year-old show Mummy his latest accomplishment - until he pointed out the difference, which is that his mind already knew how to do it and it was just a matter of getting the message through to his fingers. But he did it, and I felt so proud. He even walked down the stairs without having to grip both sides, and without a lurch round the corner. His speech is a lot clearer now, too. He had his double stroke only 15 days ago. I wonder if his is the most rapid recovery on record?

No comments: